Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cycle Day 1

Today is cycle day one. 

So what does this mean in the path of trying to conceive?  It means it is the first day of my period, menstrual flow, aunt flow, whatever you want to call it.

This month's cycle was triggered from a medicine called Provera, or Medroxyprogesterone.  You take it for 10 days, then you'll get your period usually within two weeks after your last dose.  While taking the medicine, you get a lovely variety of side effects:  sore breasts, acne, growth of facial hair (which if you have PCOS you already deal with this on a daily basis!), loss of hair on your head, upset stomach, weight gain, drowsiness, and difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep.  Yuck!  I've felt all of these this round. 

For all of you ladies reading this who get regular cycles, you know the normal issues we all have, cramps, cravings, etc.  Now, when you have a period triggered by Provera, imagine everything times 10.  I've said it before, but my insides feel like they are being mixed with a hand powered egg beater.  I haven't slept more than 6 hours a night in days.  If you know me, you know that is really unusual!  I'm also not eating a whole lot right now, so I have even less energy. 

Cycle Day 1 means a call to the doctor to have your 'base line scan'.  My appointment is set for 9:45 tomorrow morning.  Your base line is normally done on day 1 or 2.  Your base line scan is a transvaginal ultrasound.  They take a wand, cover it with a condom and it is placed in your vaginal canal.  The doctor then pushes around on your abdomen to get your ovaries to move around so they can get an ultrasound photo of each ovary, on all sides.  This is done to make sure that no follicles (the little fluid filled pouches that your eggs will pop out of) are too big, or cystic.  You will also have blood work done to check on your hormone levels.

So, this is what I get to experience tomorrow.  Fun stuff!

I hope to be able to get a photo from the ultrasound to share what my ovaries look like.

Now I get to try to go to sleep.  I doubt sleep will come easily tonight.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment